The NSSA election cycle is now underway, with ballots out for the election of NSSA National Directors. Following is the process and key dates for the remainder of the 2016 election process:
NSSA Director Elections:
- Deadline for requesting a paper ballot: June 1, 2016
- Polls close for Director’s election: Midnight June 30, 2016
- Ballots counted for Director’s election: July 1, 2016
Zone Committeeman Election:
Only current Directors (those serving for the 2015-2016 term) may vote for Zone Committeemen and do so only for their respective Zones. The nominee must be a Director in that Zone.
- Open nomination period: July 1-23, 2016
- Deadline for receipt at NSSA HQ: July 31, 2016
- Ballots sent to current Directors: August 2, 2016 (i.e. “As soon as practicable after August 1.”)
- Deadline to request a ballot (lost/not received): August 11, 2016
- Deadline for ballots back to NSSA HQ: Midnight, August 25
The nominee in each Zone who receives the highest number of votes shall be declared elected. In the event of a tie for first place in any Zone, a run-off ballot to determine the winner will be sent to the Directors in that Zone on or about August 31 and must be returned to the association no later than September 15. Directors-at-Large will vote for the Zone Committeeman in the Zone in which such Director Resides.
Officer Election — President, Vice President, Secretary-Treasurer:
- Deadline for nominations received at NSSA HQ: June 25
- Nominations must be accompanied by a letter signed by the person nominated agreeing to the candidacy.
- Any member receiving the nomination of five Directors, at least three of whom are from different states, shall be entitled to be a candidate.
- EC as nominating committee to submit nominations to NSSA HQ: July 1
- Ballot distribution deadline: July 10 (i.e. “on or before”)
- Deadline for ballots back to NSSA HQ: August 20
If there is more than one candidate for any office, the President shall select an independent accounting firm to whom the ballots will be sent for tabulation. Each ballot sent to the Directors shall be accompanied by a return envelope marked “Officers Ballot” and addressed to the selected accounting firm, if one is used. If an accounting firm is used, that firm shall tabulate the ballots and certify and deliver results to the association’s office on or before August 20. The nominee for each office who receives a plurality of the votes cast shall be elected to the office for which he or she was nominated. The officers so elected and certified shall assume office on January 1 of odd-numbered years.